If you are noticing that your roof is old, weathered, curling or cracking, you may be wondering about when its time to replace your roof.
Roofs will need to be replaced when they have simply reached the end of their useful life. The useful life of a shingle roof varies, however our experience shows that the life expectancy of a traditional asphalt shingle in our climate is approximately 25 years. This is when you can start experiencing problems with your roof. Once roofs reach this age, WestPro strongly recommend that you consider replacing your roof and at the very least, start to schedule an annual roof inspection.
Reasons For Needing To Replace Your Roof
- Poor Attic Ventilation: We see this every day during our roof inspections throughout Colorado, and its not uncommon to find poor attic ventilation even on newer homes. A lack of good attic ventilation will cause shingles to fail prematurely, sometimes in less than 10 years.
- Installation Error: Unfortunately, this is more common than you might think. Poor workmanship can negatively impact the integrity of a roof right after installation.
- Improper or Deferred Maintenance: Many roof problems can start as small as a leaking chimney or maybe a deteriorated pipe jack flashing. If left uncorrected, the roofs condition might be past the point of just a repair. When this happens, the whole roof must be replaced. The worst kind of the leak is the one you don’t know about. Ensure the integrity of your home by getting your roof inspected regularly.
- Cracking/Brittle Shingles: The Colorado Climate is hard on roofs. Severe UV exposure from the Colorado sun will cause your roof to become dry and brittle. Shingles easily crack with temperature changes. This is easy to spot with a basic roof inspection.
- Wildlife: This one happens! Raccoons and squirrels can cause serious damage, as they will consistently tear new holes in a roof to get into your toasty warm attic. In some cases, the extent of the damage cannot be repaired, and the roof must be replaced in its entirety. Stay up to date with regular roof inspections and keep out those uninvited guests.
Next Steps to Take
Get An Inspection
Schedule a free roof inspection with WestPro. We will perform a complete inspection, take measurements, and figure out the problem.
Get An Estimate
We provide you with estimates for products samples and styles. You decide the pricing, style, and colors that work for you.
Get It Repaired
WestPro offers convenient, in home financing for roof repairs or replacement.
Below are some answers to questions you may have, regarding needing to replace your old roof:
Typically not, and here’s why. Your insurance policy likely only covers damage that is caused both suddenly, AND accidentally, such as wind or hail damage. Wear and tear is not sudden or accidental. BUT, if your old roof get’s peppered by large hail, then you are more than likely to be under coverage. Under these circumstances, your insurance carrier may extend coverage for your roof due to the hail damage. To find out if your roof qualifies for replacement through your insurance company, simply schedule a roof inspection…with WestPro, of course!
Some older roofs can still be repaired as long the following conditions apply:
– The roof is only 1 layer. Multiple layer roofs can be problematic to repair.
– The shingles are available. Many products/profiles of older generation shingles are not longer available in the market. This include T-Lock shingles, Organic shingles, etc.
– The shingles are not too brittle. Frequently shingles are so brittle that they can’t be worked on without creating more damage. When this happens, the only solution is to replace the roof.
Get a FREE QUOTE
Email Us . . . . . . . . . . . . OR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Call us
Or Call Us
Here’s the plan!
- We’ll consult with you, by email or phone
- We will ask you a few questions and schedule an appointment.