The gutters on your roof are a key component of your roof’s structural integrity, especially during rainy and snowy months. The redirecting of water and proper deposition of water are so important in keeping the inside of your home and foundation dry. Your gutters protect against water from leaking into the foundation of your home or causing the soil to wash away.
Keeping your gutters cleaned should always be top of mind for keeping your home’s structure strong. But, before jumping into the dirty work yourself, our team has outlined some safety tips we recommend you follow.
Our DIY Gutter Cleaning Tips
Cleaning out your gutters prior to or post-season change ensures that you stay free from roof leaks and damage elsewhere to the outside of your home. Before you start the cleaning process, you need to know how to climb a ladder. Below are some tips to keep you safe.
- If possible, have another person on hand in case you run into trouble.
- Place the base of your ladder on a firm, solid surface, never on uneven ground.
- An extension ladder or stepladder should be set one foot away from the surface it rests against for every four feet of ladder height.
- When ascending and descending, always face the ladder and firmly hold from the rungs, not the side rails, and use one rung at a time.
- Use a tool belt rather than carrying tools in your hands climbing.
- Keep your body between the ladder side rails when ascending.
- Never overreach to the left or right. In this case, reposition it closer to where you are working.
- Always tie down the ladder when working outdoors.
- Avoid working in harsh weather conditions.
- If you are unable to reach your gutters safely, it is best to hire a professional to do this for you.
Now that you know you can confidently and safely use a ladder, it’s time to do some cleaning. Use gloves to remove any debris from the gutters and downspouts. After you are done, flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose.
Did You Notice Your Gutters Need Replacing?
If you have started cleaning your gutters and noticed that they are damaged, give us a call. We specialize in seamless gutter replacement and installation. Click here for a quote and to learn more!