How to Safely Clean Your Gutters
Importance of Gutter Maintenance
The gutters on your roof are a key component of the roofing structure, especially during rainy months. This important part of your roof helps protect the integrity of your home by redirecting the water that flows down the slope of the roof and on to the ground. Plus, they contribute to stopping water from leaking into the foundation of your house or causing the soil to wash away. Now that you understand how gutters work, you should include gutter care in your maintenance checklist. But, before jumping into gutter cleaning our expert roofers have brought some safety tips.
Using a Ladder to Reach the Gutters
We all know the importance of doing roof maintenance season by season. Now that spring has kicked in Colorado, many homeowners are looking forward to cleaning gutters and downspouts. Before you start the process, you need to know how to climb a ladder.
- If possible, have another person on hand in case you run into trouble.
- Place the base of your ladder on a firm, solid surface, never on uneven ground.
- An extension ladder or stepladder should be set one foot away from the surface it rests against for every four feet of ladder height.
- When ascending and descending always face the ladder and firmly hold from the rungs, not the side rails, and use one rung at a time.
- Use a tool belt rather than carrying tools in your hands climbing.
- Keep your body between the ladder side rails when ascending.
- Never overreach to the left or right. In this case, reposition it closer to where you are working.
- Always tie down the ladder when working outdoors.
- Avoid working in harsh weather conditions.
- If you are unable to reach your gutters safely, it is best to hire a professional to do this for you.
Now that you know how to safely climb a ladder, it’s time to do some cleaning. Use gloves to remove any debris from the gutters and downspouts. After you are done, flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose.
Should you need a full gutter replacement, contact WestPro Roofing.